Alert NWT - Spring 1957
From the right was the Mess, then buildings 2-3-4 which were accomodation buildings, building 5 was the power house and transport/vehicle maintenance. The 6th building of which very little is showing was the Operations building (in those days it was absolutely "verbotten" to photograph anything of an Operational nature. This building, the reason for the military interest in Alert contained the Operating positions in the North end, the Ham Radio Station and a Communications van attached to the south end. That is the small structure visible at the end of the Ops building. It contained the Crypto room which was the official link to the south and Ottawa. All the buildings on the military side in Alert at this time were called GP Huts (General Purpose). and were on 6 foot high raised pads.