Streets and VegetationThe remains of paved streets and building foundations symbolize the once thriving community of the Vancouver Wireless Station (VWS). The street layout if typical of 1950's subdivision design reflecting the urban design principals of the era. Overgrown trees, shrubs and grasses are the remains of some 2000 trees and shrubs planted to beautify this community in 1954.
As one walks the roadways, fruit trees can be found in the former location of the homes, oak trees grow where the Men's barracks and Mess were located, horse chestnuts line the east side of the site of the playing field and willows dot the main entry roadway. Tul;ips and daffodils planted many years ago still bloom in the spring. Poplar, Birch, Hawthorne and others have covered what were once open play areas and sites of buildings. Blossoms and fruite still draw our eyes to areas which were once bustling with family activity.
Photo captions top to bottom.Mature Oak trees remain where the Men's barracks and Mess were located
Today the same Chestnut trees remain
Trees lined Frazer Street which ran past the sports field, the Fire Hall and the tennis courts
Iris bloom at the former entrance to the Catholic Chapel
This photograph shows the landscaped residential streets of VWS